Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: digital movies

  1. #1
    Inactive Member notrub225's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I am not mistaken, I don't think Attack of the Clones was even the first all digital movie. I think Pleasantville and Chuck and Buck were also shot completely digitally, and I am sure there are others as well.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the other definition that needs to be made is mini-dv digital versus HI-Definition Digital.

    Lucas used HI-Definition Digital with Panavision Lenses, I don't know which Digital format was used for the other movies you mentioned.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 24, 2002 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Pleasantville" was shot on 35mm film and then scanned into a computer to do the effects, like selective coloring of the frames.

    "Chuck and Buck" was shot on DV.

    Yes, "Attack of the Clones" was shot on Digital High Definition. Hi-Def has been around a long time. First as an analog format. Several movies were shot on it as far back as 12-15 years ago, like "Julia and Julia" (staring Kathleen Turner & Sting) and a film called something like "White Heat" directed by Robbie Benson.

    I'm still a film die hard and think that "Attack of the Clones" didn't look as good as shot on film products. Did it look bad? No. But I felt it looked soft. Digital HD is a great format for documentaries.

    Scott

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Skagnetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Can someone use a Mini-DV camera like the new DV CAnon and use Video Editing to give it the same feel as " Attack Of the Clones" ?"

    No. They used high definition stuff and a Canon mini-DV can't do it. Have you seen clips of Full Frontal yet? They're all over TV now. That was the Canon XL1s and the movie looks really good. I bet the normal movie goer wouldn't even notice it's shot on video.

    Also, a ton of movies have been shot on DV - The Original Kings of Comedy, Series 7, Bamboozeled, etc...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scott wrote: "Digital HD is a great format for documentaries"...
    Hold the phone! Not that I would disagree with this statement. "Any" format is good for documentaries. But, this kind of statement propagates that myth about the documentary, that myth being that documentary fimmakers like to use sub-standard photography. In truth most documentaries are shot on such a low budget that using 16mm (at one time considered sub-standard), DV, video ect, ect, was a choice because of funding and the fact that light weight gear made direct cinema possiable. How in the world would HD ever get in the hands of documentary filmmakers outside of National Geographic or other highly funded producers (very few exist). Documentary filmmakers do like to have choices, but this is not a reality most of us will enjoy soon. Another problem with HD is battery consumption. Film cameras still fair better.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Stuffisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2002
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can someone use a Mini-DV camera like the new DV CAnon and use Video Editing to give it the same feel as " Attack Of the Clones" ?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 27, 2002 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Stuffisk ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scott, Yea, I'm with you there. If there ever would be a standardized video format, it may have a chance. But all this flip flopping with formats and analog vs digital. No format is perfect, but I want a system that is standard. The audio market is like this too. Sony has taken all their analog cassette machines off the market, it's all digital. But nothing is standard. Mini disk, CD, DAT, A-DAT, hard drive, la, la ,la ,la....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Scott Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2001
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Rollemfilm,

    I agree with you and disagree. When I said HD is good for documentaries, I didn't mean tiny budgets, but decent ones. Documentaries are notorious for shooting huge ratios, so HD or higher end DV cameras are good for them.

    To be honest, I'd fight to shoot film for as long as possible. Last year, I budgeted out a documentary to be shot in the US and Ireland (which didn't happen), but I budgeted for film. It's a great archival format. 20 years from now, you'd probably have to hunt through studio's basement to find a deck to play back your HD footage.

    Scott

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe the remake of "Oceans 11" was shot on video too. An interesting observation was made by a guy at my house yesterday...I had my HD tv on, and a HD Discovery channel documentary was on(made on HD video)...the guy commented on how clear and crisp it looked..but when I flipped the channel to HBO high def, with "Vertical Limit" on(made on film)..the guy gasped and said that was the most beautiful picture he had ever seen! Chalk one up for film! Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •